You can only acquire firearms of the same category as your licence.
- Firearms must be registered
- Firearms must be stored correctly, information on this is available on the Storage, Safekeeping & Transport page. The Firearms Storage Inspection Checklist explains exactly what police look for when they inspect firearms storage
- Your genuine reason for having a licence determines what types of firearms you may possess.
In order to obtain a firearm:
- Install a compliant storage receptacle for your firearm, such as a safe.
- Apply for a permit to acquire a firearm. Applying for the permit may involve police inspecting your storage arrangements. See:
- Buy a firearm through a firearms dealer using your permit (they will organise for the certificate of registration to be transferred to you).
- Store your firearm according to the rules and only use your firearm as your licence allows
A few basic firearms rules:
- You have to have a licence before you get a firearm.
- All firearms have to be registered, unless they are specifically exempt from registration.
- You can only buy or sell firearms and firearm parts through a dealer.
- You have to store your firearms according to the storage rules.
- You must comply with the conditions on your licence.
- You must comply with the requirements for firearms licence holders in Tasmania.
- You can only possess, use or store firearms of the same category as your licence.
- Take care of yourself and the people around you when you are using firearms