1. Complete an application form
- Complete a firearms licence application form
2. Check your proof of identity
- Check that you have 100 points of original identification.
3. Find out what fees you need to pay
4. Get your application processed
- Submit your application at Service Tasmania with your:
- completed application form
- 100 points of original identification
- photocopies of 100 points of identification for certification.
- payment for the relevant fees.
5. Approval letter (authority to attend course)
- We send you a letter telling you:
- if your application is approved
- if approved, what training you need to complete
- who to contact to arrange training.
6. Attend training
- Within 6 months of the approval letter, you must attend the relevant course.
- Upon completion of the course, the training provider will send your certificate of competency directly to Firearms Services.
- Depending on the type of licence, you may then be asked to provide further evidence to support your application.
- Upon completion of the course and provided you have satisfied all other requirements, you will be sent a verification letter.
- Failure to attend the training course within in the specified 6 months will see your application withdrawn.
7. Have your photo taken
- Take the verification letter that we send to you to Service Tasmania to have your photo taken.
- Take with you (a) 100 points of original identification, and (b) the verification letter.
8. Issuing the licence
- The photographic licence will then be printed and sent to you in due course.