Only a licensed firearms dealer can alter the construction and action of a firearm. It is also an offence under the Act to:
- shorten any firearm to a length less than 65 centimetres; or
- possess any firearm that has been so shortened; or
- sell or give possession of any firearm that has been so shortened.
- deface or alter any number, letter or identification mark on any firearm or firearm part
- Alter the construction or action of a pistol or firearm so as to convert it into a prohibited pistol or firearm.
- Alter the construction of a prohibited firearm so as to convert it into a firearm.