If you are an international visitor and wish to use a firearm in Tasmania you may submit an Application for an International Visitor Exemption.
Applications should take the form of a written request from the applicant to the Manager, Firearms Services, GPO Box 308, Hobart, Tas. 7001, and must include:
- full name;
- home address;
- date of birth;
- date of arrival and intended departure;
- contact address in Tasmania;
- a copy of personal particulars page of passport (which includes the number and country of issue);
- a copy of any firearms licence held in your country of origin (should you not be required to have a firearms licence in your country of origin, you should include this information in the application);
- written authority from a land owner giving permission to shoot on a specific property;
- details of the person who will be accompanying you
- details of whose firearms you will be using.
If it is your intention to bring a firearm into the state (note only a category A or B firearm will be permitted), details of the firearm should also be included in the above application, as it will be necessary for the firearm to be exempt from the requirement of the Firearms Act 1996 to be registered in Tasmania. Note you must still comply with the transport and storage guidelines in Tasmania.
In addition, to bring a firearm into the country, the owner must apply for and be in receipt of an Australian Border Force Import Permit which is issued by the Tasmania Police Service (Firearms Services).
Further details and an an application for an import permit are available on the Firearms and weapons page on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.