If you are a resident of another State or a Territory and are visiting Tasmanian for the purpose of participating in an approved shooting competition or for any other approved purpose, you are not required to hold a Category A, B or H firearms licence so long as you hold a corresponding licence issued in another jurisdiction.

Moving to Tasmania

If you are moving to Tasmania and you have a corresponding firearms licence issued in another jurisdiction you must notify the Commissioner in writing that you intend to reside in this State.  Your corresponding firearms licence will be valid in Tasmania for a period of:

  • 3 months, in the case of holders of a corresponding Category A or B firearms licence
  • 7 days, in the case of holders corresponding Category C, D or H firearms licence

Before expiry of this period, you must apply for a Tasmanian licence if you wish to continue to possess or use firearms.