You must re-apply each time your:
- licence expires
- genuine reason changes.
A renewal notice will be automatically sent to you approximately 2 months prior to the expiry date on your licence. On receipt of this notice, go to Service Tasmania and take your:
- firearms licence
- supporting documentation
- licence renewal fee.
- Provided a licence holder lodges a renewal application prior to the licence expiring or within 14 days after the expiry of the licence
- and assuming that there are no issues identified during the vetting process
- the licence does not expire and the licence holder will receive the new licence card in due course.
- That means, even though someone has an expired licence card, if their renewal has been lodged, their licence remains valid and shows as being valid on police systems.
- If the application for renewal is not lodged prior to midnight on the 14th day after expiry, then the licence holder will be required to surrender their firearms.
- After this time Firearms Services can no longer accept a renewal application. The expired licence holder may seek to apply for a new licence if desired.