Notice of Change of Firearms Licensing Process
This is a notice to advise of a change to the process to obtain a firearms licence to possess and use a Category H (pistol) for employment in the security industry in Tasmania.
This change comes after consultation with a broad cross section of stakeholders in Tasmania which have confirmed that the new process is logical and will make things easier for licence applicants and their employers.
This change does not impact the process for obtaining a licence to be a Security Agent or Security Guard in Tasmania which is administered separately by Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (https://www.cbos.tas.gov.au/).
THE CHANGE OVERVIEW
Previously in Tasmania to commence the firearms licence application process a person was required to provide:
- Security Guard – a covering letter from an employer wishing to engage them.
- Security Agent – at least 3 covering letters from businesses that require you to perform duties using a category H firearm.
- a copy of their current security guard/agent licence (issued by Consumer, Building and Occupational Services).
In future a person will not need to provide proof of employment until after they have successfully completed the Category H Firearms Safety Training Course.
A summary of the new process is:
- Complete application for firearms licence for Category H (Business or employment as a security agent or security guard).
- Receive from Firearms Services written approval to book and attend TasTAFE Firearms Safety Training Course.
- Successfully complete TasTAFE Firearms Safety Training Course.
- Security Guard – Provide Firearms Services with a letter on company letterhead offering employment in a role that requires you to possess and use a Category H firearm.
- Security Agent – Provide Firearms Services with three letters from businesses that require you to perform duties using a category H firearm.
In short, rather than supplying employment letters before attending training, the employment letters are provided after you have completed training.
While this is a simple change, the key benefit is that a person is likely to be issued their Category H firearms licence within two to three weeks of supplying their employment letter/s, at the moment it may take many months.
If you have any questions in relation to the proposed change, please contact Firearms Services on 03 6173 2720.